St Giles’ church is of twelfth-century origin, with a tower and west door of the fourteenth-century and nineteenth-century chancel, north nave wall and north transcept. There is much good stained glass ranging from 1280 to the present day and a ring of six bells cast between 1602 and 1866. In recent years the fourteenth-century south transcept was opened out to give extra space for services and is now the children’s area. In 2004 the chancel screen was removed to the west tower arch, revealing the attractive Victorian chancel. There is an Oxford-built organ of 1880.
The patronage of St. Giles was passed from the hosptial of St. John the Baptist (at the East gate of Oxford) to Magdalen College, until 1949, when it passed to the Oxford Diocesan Board of Patronage. In 1980 the Rector of St Mary’s Garsington became priest in charge of St Giles, ad the parish of Cuddesdon was added in 1997, thus comprising the present cluster within the Wheatley Team Ministry.
On the first Sunday of the month the parishes of Cuddesdon, Garsington and Horspath worship together at alternating parishes
Every second and fifth Sunday at 11:00 AM for 1 hour
Family Time at St Giles’
Every third Sunday at 11:00 AM for ¾ hour beginning with coffee and cake then followed by a short interactive themed service suitable for all the family
An non-Eucharistic act of worship with readings, hymns, sermon and prayers. Every fourth Sunday at 11.00 am for ¾ hour