Vicar and Area Dean
Rev’d Dr Emma Pennington
Emma was licensed as Vicar of Garsington, Cuddesdon and Horspath in 2008 before which she was Chaplain of Worcester College in Oxford for five years. She is also the Prayer and Spirituality Adviser to the diocese and Area Dean of Aston and Cuddesdon.
Emma has a passion for prayer and spirituality and welcomes the opportunity to encourage others to explore the richness of medieval mystical tradition and deepen the contemplative life of prayer. She is tutor for the IME Reflective Practice: Ministry and Spirituality level 6 and 7 and co-founder of the hugely successful Festival of Prayer day conference run in association with BRF. She has given talks and led retreats and Quiet Days both in the UK and abroad, and also tutored and lectured extensively on Christian Spirituality, especially at Oxford University, where she completed her doctoral research on Julian of Norwich in 2014. She is currently writing a book for BRF on Julian’s revelation entitled At the Foot of the Cross with Julian of Norwich.
Emma trained at Ripon College Cuddesdon from 1997 to 200 where she studied for the Oxford BA gaining a 2:1 class and distinction in the Diploma in Ministry for Theology Graduates. Prior to ordination Emma was a virger at St Paul’s cathedral in London. It was there she met her husband to be Jonathan Arnold, a professional singer with the Tallis Scholars and the Sixteen as well as Vicar Choral at St Pauls at the time, now Dean of Divinity at Magdalen College Oxford. They have two children, Katie and Thomas and a dog called Flossie and cat Smudge.
Emma’s first degree was in English Literature with medieval studies at Exeter University from which she retains a love of reading and in-depth knowledge of the Victorian Gothic genre. She loves walking especially in the Lake District and has completed a number of the long distance paths in England.
Oxon OX44 9DH
01865 361 381
Canon Professor Mark Chapman
Mark is Vice-Principal and teaches Modern Church History and Theology, Ecclesiology, and Anglicanism and is course director for the Oxford BA and other Oxford degrees except for the MTh. He is also Professor of the History of Modern Theology in the University of Oxford, Canon Theologian of Truro Cathedral as well as assistant curate in the Benefice of Garsington, Horspath and Cuddesdon. He is currently a member of General Synod. He has written a history of Christianity in Cuddesdon, God’s Holy Hilland edited a book on the history of the College: Ambassadors of Christ. He has written and edited books in many different areas of theology and church history, and is publications officer for Affirming Catholicism. His most recent books are Theology and Society in Three Cities: Berlin, Oxford and Chicago, 1800-1914 (Cambridge: James Clarke, 2014), The Fantasy of Reunion: Anglicans, Catholics, and Ecumenism, 1833-1880 (Oxford University Press, 2014), Anglican Theology (T & T Clark, 2012). He is also author of many other books including Anglicanism: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford University Press, 2006).
Mark was brought up in Essex and Berkshire and studied Politics and Philosophy and then Theology at Trinity College, Oxford and also spent a year in Munich during his doctoral studies. He was Stephenson Research Fellow at the University of Sheffield before he joined the staff at Cuddesdon in 1992. Mark trained on the Oxford Ministry Course and was ordained in 1994. He is married to Linda and they have two grown-up sons. He likes travelling, cooking, good food, films, theatre and contemporary music.
1 Church Close
Principal of Ripon College Cuddesdon
Rt Rev’d Humphrey Southern
Having read history at Christ Church Oxford, and spent a year in The Sudan shadowing a local Archdeacon, Humphrey came to Ripon College Cuddesdon for three years ordination training in 1983. He then served curacies in commuter suburban Rainham in Kent, and in inner-city Liverpool, at St. Mary’s, Walton. His first incumbency was at Hale in the Guildford Diocese, followed in 1999 by becoming Team Rector at Tisbury which, by the time Humphrey left the post after eight years, served sixteen villages. In this appointment he also served as Rural Dean and as Chair of the diocesan House of Clergy, as well as supervising a number of curates and sharing in the delivery of diocesan IME 4-7.
Humphrey was appointed Bishop of Repton in the diocese of Derby in May 2007. His particular responsibilities in this role focused on areas of ministry: overseeing vocations, sponsoring people for ordination training, and appointments. He chaired the Mission and Pastoral Committee which is responsible for ‘shaping’ the Church locally to fulfil its mission to proclaim the Good News and build the Kingdom. He enjoyed close involvement with schools, both Church and County, and chaired for two years the Diocesan Board of Education; and he particularly relished travelling around the diocese worshipping in all manner of different churches and styles, and seeking to encourage and care for clergy and laypeople.
Bishop Humphrey was appointed Principal of Ripon College Cuddesdon in April 2015 and draws on his experience as a parish priest and leader at a diocesan level to teach Pastoral Theology to residential and non-residential Oxford Ministry Course students. He contributes to the West of England Ministerial Training Course (WEMTC) and other programmes in the area of Anglican ecclesiology, and shares responsibility for leading the Monmouth programme. As Principal he liaises closely with sponsoring bishops and DDOs and takes a lead role in supporting students in their final year in establishing themselves in curacies.
Bishop Humphrey is married to Emma, a district nurse, and has two daughters, Laura and Kate. His interests include being an avid reader and following horse racing
Ripon College Cuddesdon
The Community of St John Baptist was founded in England in 1852 by Thomas Thellusson Carter, the priest at St Andrew’s Clewer, Windsor, and Harriet Monsell (the first superior). The purpose of the order was to help marginalised, mainly young women, who found themselves homeless and drawn into the sex trade, by providing them shelter and teaching them a trade. The work of the sisters expanded to include administering and working in orphanages, schools, convalescent hospitals, soup kitchens, and women’s hostels.
In 1901 there were 300 sisters and, at its height, the community had some 45 branch houses throughout the South of England.
The community’s Mother House remained at their purpose-built Victorian convent in Hatch Lane, Windsor. Following a sharp decrease in membership, the community found itself using only a tiny part of the buildings and, in 2001 relocated to Oxfordshire. The original convent has since been converted into residential accommodation with a minimum of changes to the original architectural features
The Sisters lived at Begbroke, near Woodstock in Oxfordshire for several years, then moved to the newly constructed Harriet Monsell House, on the campus of Ripon College Cuddesdon in 2012. There they have the two top floors as their convent. They also endowed the Bishop Edward King Chapel for the College, which will be part of the Community’s lasting legacy to the Church after it has completed its work. The Chapel has won several architectural awards since its completion.
Since 1996 the remaining sisters of another Order, the Community of the Companions of Jesus the Good Shepherd have been living with the CSJB sisters, and although the two Orders remain quite distinct, they share accommodation and many other aspects of community life. In 2018 Sr Jane Olive and Sr Anne Verena ‘retired’ to a nursing home in Chiswick.
We are now a community of women who seek to offer our gifts to God in various ways. These include parish and retreat work, spiritual direction and ministry to the elderly. Two sisters are ordained to the priesthood and preside regularly at the Community and College Eucharists. One is part of the College Chaplaincy Team and the other assists in local benefices. Sisters are also available to facilitate quiet days,
We have close links with the sisters of our affiliated community at Mendham, New Jersey, USA (www.csjb.org) and we also have links with justice and peace activities.
Daily life centres on the Eucharist and the Divine Office and we live under the threefold vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. Following the rule of St Augustine we are encouraged to grow into ‘an ever-deepening commitment of love for God and for each other as we strive to show forth the attractiveness of Christ to the world’.
Community of St John the Baptist
Harriet Monsell House
Ripon College Cuddesdon